Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The (2nd) Most Wonderful Time of Year!

Yesterday marked month four of my Miss Pennsylvania reign. It is incomprehensible to think about how much I have grown in these last few months. One of my first appearances as Miss Pennsylvania was a radio interview in my hometown, and I could not even begin to tell you how NERVOUS I was. I wanted to make sure that I covered all of the important points that I had outlined prior to the interview and that I was concise and succinct when I answered each question. I sure have come a long way since then. Just a few days ago I stood in front of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and the Senate and spoke to them from my heart and after I stepped down from the microphone I couldn't help but think about just how far I really have come.

You really have to grow into the job of Miss Pennsylvania. When I was in elementary school, my mom would always buy my shoes a little too big so that I could get more wear out of them before I eventually grew out of them and had to buy a new pair. That is how I feel like it is with Miss Pennsylvania. At first, the shoe was a little loose and not really broken in. I was a bit timid and clumsy, because I wasn’t always sure what to expect. But now, the shoe fits, and I am running in strides fulfilling the duties of Miss Pennsylvania. I love this job, and as busy as I may be at times I am reaching more people than I ever thought I would.

Picking up from where I left off after my previous blog entry, I mentioned I would be a part of the 250th anniversary of Palmyra parade. I rode in a brand new, blue corvette. Two other titleholders—Becky Zaneski, Miss Midstate’s Outstanding Teen and Miss Central Pennsylvania’s Outstanding Teen, Katie Schreckengast—were also part of the parade! It was so nice to see a small town come together and put on such a nice parade to celebrate their 250th anniversary.

A few days later I visited the Brockway School District and gave a presentation to their high school, grades 7 through 12. The Brockway School District has an Anti-Bullying Committee, which encourages other students to sign pledges that they will not bully. I was so inspired that I took as much information as I could in hopes to start another program like this in other schools that I visit in Pennsylvania! These types of appearances are my favorite, because when competing for the title of Miss Pennsylvania I spoke so much about how I wanted to share the message of my platform with the youth across the commonwealth, and I am thrilled that I have been able to follow through with that. I have been so very fortunate because I have already had so many schools invite me to speak with their students and there are even more scheduled for the upcoming months! It was lovely coming back to the Brockway High School Auditorium, because that was where my very first Miss Pennsylvania local was held!

The following day kicked off week one of my Dale Carnegie course. It will be every Wednesday evening until Thanksgiving, and already going into week 4, I have learned so much!

October is my favorite month of the year for many reasons—the colors of the leaves are at their prime, the air seems so fresh and crisp, Halloween activities are always going on, pumpkin carving, and oh yeah…my birthday is October 30th! The appearance that kicked-off the month of October was perfect for the season—the Clarion Autumn Leaf Festival Parade. That morning I was joined by Miss Clarion River Valley, Amber Alsop. We had so much fun! Too much fun really, because we were supposed to be signing autographs but we just couldn't stop talking and catching up with each other! Zach Covington and Laura King—The Miss Clarion River Valley local directors—were my hosts for the event and drove me through the parade. Being that Clarion is not far from my hometown, I saw many familiar faces!


The next day was the Pennsylvania State Fiddle Contest. I have been unable to attend/compete in this contest for the last few years because I always had something going on at school and could never make it home. S&T Bank sponsored me to be there and I could not have been more excited. My mom and dad host the event every year and put on the Fiddle Contest. I was even asked to be a “celebrity judge”! Wow, was that hard! There were so many talented fiddlers, which made that job very challenging! I have played the violin since I was four, and for the last decade I can only remember a handful of times when I was actually nervous before playing my violin somewhere. THIS was one of those times….at a fiddle contest…among my toughest critics. Fortunately I managed to hit every note and perform without tripping over a cord and falling flat on my face! J

That evening, I was off to Philadelphia so that I could speak at the Philip Lauer Middle School in Wilson Boro, PA the following day. This time I spoke to grades 5 through 8. These kids never cease to amaze me with their intelligent questions and inspiring stories.

On October 5th I was on the road to Harrisburg. The representative from my area, Sam Smith, invited me to speak and perform for the House of Representatives. This was a remarkable day and I gave a whole new meaning to "bringing down the House!" Following my presentation I was given a tour of the Capitol and even met the Governor!

A few days later I was back in Harrisburg for an appearance in Camp Hill at the West Shore Chamber of Commerce Expo. Mountz Jewelers sponsored me for the event and provided me with the Pennsylvania Jeweler’s Crown to wear while I was there—WOW! This crown was so beautiful, and has been worn by several past Miss Pennsylvanias. It is made of Gold, Amethyst, and Diamonds. I was so honored that they let me wear it for their event! Linda, Terry, and everyone else from Mountz were so friendly and kind to me. I had such a great time there!

A short time after that, I was back in Harrisburg at the Capitol to speak with the Senate! Even though it was only a few short minutes, just having the opportunity to speak about the organization and my platform to the leaders of our state was such an honor.

This past Saturday I was a part of The Great Pumpkin Parade in Mohnton, PA. It was the most exciting parade I have ever been a part of. It was an evening parade and all of the kids that lined the streets were dressed in their Halloween costumes. I really had to be conservative with my candy-throwing because there were SO many people there!

My most recent appearance was yesterday in Williamsport. I attended another Senior Health & Lifestyle Expo and signed autographs for the attendees of the event. I couldn’t believe how many people told me they attended the event just to get my autograph! What an inspiration!!

I also want to mention that the date, place, and time have been set for my send-off party to the 2011 Miss America pageant! It will be held on December 5th, at 2 p.m. at the Pincrest Country Club in Brookville. It will be $7/person and lunch will be provided and will promptly be served at 2 o’ clock. Everyone is invited, but you must R.S.V.P. by December 1st so that we have a number to prepare food for. A detailed invitation will be posted and sent out in the near future.

As always, thank you for following along! There are several upcoming local pageants and I hope to make it to as many as I can! Good luck to all of the girls competing!!

With love,

Xoxo

Courtney Thomas

Miss Pennsylvania 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment